PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threats of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or through video conferencing. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Shiver Law Group
Shiver Law Group
Free Consultations 631-438-1965

Probate & Administration

Effectively Navigating The Probate Process

Serving as the executor or administrator of a loved one’s estate can be a daunting task. Most people entering into this role do not fully understand their duties and may not know where to begin. Failing to properly execute the duties of an executor or administrator can potentially expose you to legal liability. For these and other reasons, working with experienced legal counsel can make all the difference.

At Shivers Law Group, our lawyers represent executors, administrators and trustees across Long Island and beyond. We provide intelligent, strategic representation aimed at efficiently guiding our clients through the probate process.

What Are A Fiduciary’s Duties?

In New York, all probate proceedings take place in special courts, known as Surrogate’s Courts. If someone dies with a valid will, the person responsible for administering the estate is known as the executor. If someone dies without a will, the person guiding the estate through probate is referred to as the administrator. In Surrogate’s Court, the executor or administrator may be referred to as a fiduciary. The duties of an executor or administrator include:

  • Determining assets, real property and debts tied to the estate
  • Identifying beneficiaries
  • Paying inheritance taxes and other taxes and debts
  • Filing for probate
  • Distributing what is left among the beneficiaries, according to the will

Our attorneys and staff understand that undue delays in the probate process can create significant problems. Any time we take on the role of a fiduciary, we place a high priority on providing efficient, effective representation.

Taking A Family-Focused Approach To Probate

You will appreciate the willingness of our lawyers to be there for you now and in the future, available whenever you have a question.

With offices in Garden City and Sayville, we represent families across Long Island. We also represent fiduciaries who live out of the state. Call 631-438-1965 or complete our online contact form to arrange for a free consultation.

Catch Valerie
On Air

Listen to Valerie’s weekly radio show, “Will You Trust Me?

Saturdays at 11:30 a.m. on LI News Radio (103.9 FM).

April Radio Show Part 1

April Radio Show Part 2